The Parenting Programmes’ Alliance (PPA) was formed at the beginning of 2015 to provide a forum for programme developers’ voices to be heard at the national policy level.
The Alliance currently has a membership who between us reach over 20,000 parents per year with evidence-informed parenting programmes. We know that the provision of high-quality parenting programmes is a vital part of providing support to parents and families, and the key to improving life chances for children and young people.
The Alliance aims to work together to influence policy and practice in the development, commissioning and provision of parenting programmes by:
- Promoting and supporting best practice
- Sharing knowledge and experience
- Acting as the voice of parenting programme developers and providers
Current members of the alliance are:
- Approachable Parenting
- Centre for Parent and Child Support (South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service Research Unit, Kings College, Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience)
- Family Links
- Incredible Years, Webster Stratton
- Mellow Parenting
- Parents as Partners – Tavistock Relationships
- Parent Gym
- Parents as First Teachers
- Strengthening Families, Strengthening Communities – Race Equality Foundation
- Solihull Approach – University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust
- The For Baby’s Sake Trust
After discussions with Parenting UK, part of Family Lives, as the membership body for parenting professionals, it was agreed that the PPA would sit as a working group of Parenting UK who would provide secretariat support.
The group appointed an independent Chair, Dorit Braun, in January 2016. Dorit Braun is the independent chair of the PPA. Dorit has a long experience in developing family and parenting education and support services. She led the series of mergers to establish FamilyLives since her (early) semi-retirement has undertaken a variety of interim roles in the social care and family sectors, including working for the Social Care Institute for Excellence, the College of Social Work, One Plus One and Family Rights Group. The PPA is facilitated by Parenting UK, part of Family Lives.